Archive for January, 2018
Every child dreams of having a pet puppy, but as parents, it’s difficult to know when the time is right to bring a puppy home.
With busy schedules and after school activities, adding a puppies to the mix may seem like a bit much. At Petland, we understand that puppies require love and attention, so we want to help your family make this big decision. Here are five ways to tell your children are ready for you to buy a puppy.
Your family has discussed the decision together.
A family pet is a family decision. Everyone needs to be onboard with having a puppy, because the responsibility of taking care of the puppy will be shared. Sit down as a family and allow everyone to share how they feel about having a puppy. Be sure to discuss the responsibilities as well, which includes feeding, walking, cleaning, and most importantly loving the puppy.
If your family is planning on buying a puppy, take a Saturday trip to Petland and meet the puppies and friendly staff. Let the kids have time to interact with the in-store puppies, and ask any questions you may have about pet ownership.
Your children are communicating an interest in animals.
As your children grow, they will begin to understand the world and gain a sense of empathy. When your children begin to express an interest in the well being of animals, they are ready to learn the responsibilities of pet ownership.
The routine tasks such as feeding, walking, and bathing will come in handy later in life. At Petland, we believe that the children of today are the pet owners of tomorrow.
Your children’s playmates have pets.
If your children’s friends all have pets, your children can greatly benefit from the shared experience of pet ownership. Children learn through relating, so your children should not be the only ones without a pet.
Your children are spending too much time with technology.
While technology is a great tool for communication and efficiency, today’s children get far too much exposure to computers, tablets, and cell phones. Increased technology use usually results in a sedentary lifestyle. Having a puppy encourages children to put the phone down and get outside to play.
Your children are excelling in school.
If your children are excelling in school, what better way to reward them than a surprise trip to Petland to buy a puppy! Good grades deserve creative rewards and your children will be thrilled when they visit Petland and interact with the wide selection of puppies.
It’s no mystery why the Golden Retriever is so popular!
The well-mannered, fun-loving dogs are a hit with children and adults alike. The Golden Retriever is the 3rd favorite dog in America, only after the Labrador Retriever and The German Shepherd. Here at Petland, we always have Golden Retrievers for sale! Check out these facts to enhance your breed knowledge on man’s best friend!
1. Golden Retriever Beginnings – Lord Tweedmouth of Scotland
Golden Retrievers truly have very highborn roots, being the creation of Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, 1st Baron Tweedmouth, aka the Lord Tweedmouth. Lord Tweedmouth began shaping this noble dog in his native Scotland by breeding flat-coated retrievers with the Tweed water spaniels.
2. Do You Smell That? Golden Retrievers Can!
As evident by their apt names, Golden Retrievers were primarily intended to be a hunting dogs. They also possess a “soft mouth”, which allows them to retrieve delicate game without damaging it. Because of this selective breeding, the Golden has one of the best sniffers in the game. They are also employed as bomb sniffers and search and rescue dogs as much as hunting companions these days!
3. The Golden Retriever Gets an “A”!
Golden Retrievers aren’t just for looks, no sir! This family-friendly breed also possesses an exceptionally keen mind as well. They are listed as the 4th smartest dog breed, trailing only Border Collies, Poodles and German Shepherds.
4. The AKC First Recognized the Breed in 1925
The AKC has always touted the excellence of the Golden Retriever’s personality and physical prowess, but it actually took a while before they were officially recognized. While the breed was popular from the very beginning, around the late 1800s, it wasn’t until 1925 that they graced the AKC with their very furry presence.
5. What a Good Listener! The Golden Obedience Trifecta
The American Kennel Club introduced its official obedience trials in 1977, and its first three obedience champions were golden retrievers. The very first was a female named Moreland’s Golden Tonka, aka Tonka. During Tonka’s career, she earned eight perfect scores and 176 “High in Trial” awards.
6. And This is Where a Golden Retriever Really Shines!
Although the originators of this breed might not have had anything but an excellent hunting dog in mind, the Golden has shown that their fierce intelligence and loyal countenance has a much different application these days. Golden retrievers are the perfect assistant dogs for people with various disabilities. Assistance-dog organizations all train Golden Retrievers, Labrador Retrievers and Lab-golden crosses for the job almost exclusively!
So don’t miss out and check our available puppies page for our Golden Retrievers for sale today! Want to know more about the Golden Retriever, just give us a call today!
Lab Puppies for Sale: Say Hello to America’s Favorite Dog!
When searching for Lab puppies for sale, it’s important to know what you’re in for! Like with any dog breed, they have certain qualities that might fit right in with your family or might have you looking at different options. Petland prides itself in being one of the most knowledgeable establishments in breed education and, more importantly, breed selection for you and your family. To check out all of our adorable Lab puppies for sale (and many more!) just check out our available puppies page!
The Labrador Retriever is a very popular dog breed and started out as a hunting-type dog. This breed is very loyal, intelligent and very endearing and thus a great family dog, guide dog and even for military work. Labrador Retrievers are very easy going and will work great with kids and families alike.
A few awesome qualities of a Labrador Retriever pup that you must keep in mind:
- Labs require minimal coat maintenance and does not need regular grooming or stripping. You might need to vacuum often though because tends to shed.
- This breed is one of the easiest to train and that makes it ideal for families and new owners. They also like to be challenged with new commands, always with a treat as a reward!
- This dog is a good watchdog and will bark if there are intruders and if there is imminent danger but is unlikely to scare strangers because of its soft looks.
- Labradors can handle the cold or hot weather, but it needs a large space or room to move around, walk and exercise. Expect daily walks and runs with this dog.
- This dog is very low maintenance and thus perfect for first time dog owners. It tends to be wonderful with children and can be very playful. It can also work well with other dogs and pets.
Do you think that a Labrador retriever might be the right breed of dog for you and your family? Don’t hesitate to call and make an appointment to come and snuggle with our Lab puppies for sale in our store today!
Have you been searching for Miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale? Read along with our blog to see if this adorable breed is the right one for you!
It can be a daunting job to narrow down the right breed of puppy for you and your family! There are so many breeds out there to choose from. Here at Petland, we specialize in matching the right puppy to the right family and making sure you have the tools you need to ensure your newest family member stays happy and healthy! We also pride ourselves with having expansive knowledge on dog breeds so we can educate and inform our customers on the perfect pet. So, if you have been searching for miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale, then this is your chance to get to know this cute and active breed better before you decide to make a purchase.
Here are some of the defining characteristics of the very popular Miniature Goldendoodle:
- The Miniature Goldendoodle is actually defined as a hybrid breed. It comes from crossing a Golden Retriever and a Miniature Poodle.
- Because of the smaller size of the Poodle, Miniature Goldendoodles typically stay anywhere from 20-35lbs full grown.
- Many people choose the Mini Goldendoodle because it sheds less than the average dog, making it a candidate for people with allergies.
- Because the breed has hair that continues to grow, as opposed to fur, it requires occasional grooming and brushing.
- This breed is very attentive to their owners and will listen to commands readily. It is considered a easy to train breed and good for first time owners
- This dog may be small in size, but it can become a good watchdog. It will bark and growl when there is an intruder. They can be very protective of their owners.
- It can live in an apartment, but you need to take it for a walk every day as they have lots of energy, especially as puppies.
- The Miniature Goldendoodle can also handle weather variances and will do well in hot or in even cold climates.
- This dog is one of the best breeds for families with kids. It is energetic, playful and will be very affectionate. It also goes well with other animals or pets at home.
- This breed comes in a variety of colors and hair coats, depending on the color of its parents.
- The Miniature Goldendoodle is fun-loving and good natured; it remains one of our most popular breeds for good reason!
Now that you delved a little deeper into this sweet breed, do you still think a Miniature Goldendoodle could be right for you? Check out all our precious Miniature Goldendoodle puppies for sale on our available puppies page! We look forward to seeing you soon!
A Puppy in Your Apartment
Perhaps you’re just moving from your parents and getting your own place? Perhaps the roommate life is no longer attractive. You want your own space, but want to share it with perhaps a pet, not someone else. You haven’t decided on what kind, but you have decided to get a puppy for your apartment.
Below are 5 great breeds of apartment puppies:
These beautiful breeds can be perfect apartment puppies. Even at their full grown weight, they stay around 8-12lbs. They’re playful and energetic, always requiring moderate exercise. They train quickly and easily, making them an all around great companion!
They, too, are small dogs, not getting bigger than 13-18lbs. They are energetic and require moderate daily exercising. They have a low barking level, which tends to make them perfect apartment puppies. Check out some of our Boston Terriers at Petland’s website.
They hold the gold star for apartment puppies. English Bulldogs sleep a lot and they’re very quiet when awake. They don’t run a lot nor do they make much noise. Well, they are LOUD snorers, but that’s only heard in your immediately vicinity! They shed, but not excessively. This breed is synonymous with the term couch potato.
They have a compact size and low activity, thus not requiring much exercise. They shed a minimal amount and they rarely bark. They are the perfect apartment puppies and can be found at our store Petland.
Right up there with English Bulldogs, Pugs are popular amongst apartment dwellers. They are so quiet, some owners claim they’ve never heard them bark. They detest exercise and only require the bare minimum. They would rather sleep, which means that’s exactly how they spend lots of their time – sleeping! They will surely fit nicely living in an apartment.
Pomeranian Puppies for Sale, why this feisty breed could be right for you!
Who can resist a Pomeranian? A lot of Pomeranian puppies for sale announcements online are getting a lot of attention because this breed is an all-around charmer. A Pomeranian is actually a dog breed that has descended from large sled dogs and although the Pom that we know today are just 5-8lbs, it has not changed when it comes to its energy and willingness to be part of any family. Here at Petland, we love Pomeranians and it shows! We always have Pom puppies for sale, just check out our available puppies page!
What makes a Pomeranian a great pet?
- This breed needs regular grooming to maintain its beautiful coat; a trim is needed at least once a month.
- This breed is eager to please, but willful when training; always use positive reinforcement, like praise and treats!
- This breed is playful, but it can also sit and become a cuddly TV-watching companion
- This is a very affectionate breed but may not be the best breed for small children because of their tiny size, older children are best.
- This breed does not need a huge space and could live in a small home or apartment.
- And despite its grooming needs, it is easy to maintain and hence a good breed for first time owners.
Before getting a Pomeranian, here’s what you should remember
Are you ready to take a Pomeranian into your home? Before you search for Pomeranian puppies for sale, take a look at some of the disadvantages of this breed.
A Pomeranian is a sensitive dog breed and does not like being alone. It could become lonely and resort to destructive behavior if it is left alone for a long time. It may snap back to naughty kids, so it is not best to leave it alone with babies or young children without proper training!
Some Poms can be noisy or may bark or howl often. They often just need attention or exercise to keep the barking down, and of course, proper training by their owners! These dogs may not do well with other dogs, so this is the ideal breed for singles and seniors who are good with one dog at a time.
So are you still determined to find your perfect Pomeranian puppies for sale? A cute, cuddly, loyal and smart Pom may be waiting for you today at Petland!